Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Well, I'm finally home. I've been gone since a quarter to 6 this morning.

If you read my last post, then you know I took the english multiple choice SOL yesterday. Well, I took the writing section today, and let me tell you, it made the multiple choice seem like an AP exam. It blew my mind.

Let me give you the question

---- Mark Twain once said that "The best way to make yourself feel better, is to make someone else feel better. (words to that effect)" Write about how you have helped someone, and in doing so, made yourself feel better.

What the heck is this? WHAT IS THIS?! You have no idea my reaction when I saw this. I was stunned. Who thought of this? Who is in charge? Someone please tell me so I eradicate their seed from the earth.

I sat there for about 45 minutes, with my eyes closed, trying to contain myself. I tried and tried to convince myself to do this right, to just get my pass-advanced and be done with it. Who was I kidding?

After the said time passed, I just let loose. The words flowed from mind to hand to pencil to paper effortlessly. I gave them a story all right -- in fact it was even a story about helping someone. However, I sort of lashed out against the system in the progress. The essay was narrated by an anonymous narrator, who tells his story about his best friend, Jared Webb. He goes on to tell how they met -- the narrator found Jared in a darkened room, staring at the light switch, muttering incoherent jibber-jabber under his breath. The narrator, intrigued, flips on the light. Jared gives a wail, and falls to the ground. Mr. Narrator dude was surprised to say the least, but nothing could have prepared him for what happened next. In a move that sent shivers down his spine, Jared looked up, and gave him a look as if he was God. A wave of pity swept over him, and he became determined to use his influence to save Jared from the useless animal he had become due to the Virginia Public School System, where standardized tests and feel-good essay questions were more important than learning.

That's basically my first paragraph after the opening. Long story short, the narrator re-ignites Jared's drive to learn, and he is now capable of speaking 8 languages and do quantum mechanics in his head. Throughout the essay I stabbed at the school system. In hindsight, I realize that my essay might be tossed out the window. Lets hope that whoever grades it has a sense of humor! If not, I'll just retake it, and hopefully I will have enough restraint next time.

Something has to be done. I am tired of having no one on the school board that takes absolutely zero input from the student body. They could at least pretend to care. They make decisions that pertain to me, and how I spend the majority of my waking hours, yet I have no say in what happens? They could at least poll the student population to see what we think about things. We want to be heard! Hear us! Most of us aren't as stupid as we look.

Another valuable day at school wasted...tsk tsk. Only when things get really bad will they realize the errors of their ways.

Jared Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home